Dear Billy,
I cannot believe that you are five. When you came downstairs this morning, in your sweet cuddly way that you do when you have had a blissful night of sleep, your daddy and I could have sworn that you had grown two inches over night. You looked bigger. You looked 5.
On this momentous day I wanted to celebrate my favorite attributes that you bring to our family. You bring joy to this family. You wake up each day happy. I as well as other grown ups that know your life, know how huge this is for you, for us. It means you feel safe and loved. It means you trust. For another day and another time, we'll talk about just how special this is, but for now know that I am so happy and overjoyed that you feel safe in our home together and that you feel loved. Because you are carefree and comfortable with our family and friends, it pours out of you like sunshine breaking through clouds. Your joy can't be contained, so it must be shared. It's contagious and spreads throughout your day to so many people that you see.
Billy, you are the most confident little 5 year old that I have ever met. You know what you like, and you know how you like it. You can make a decision, and usually you are quick to do so because if given a choice, you can make up your mind and move forward. At five you love superheros, especially Spider man and Captain America. You would eat strawberries at every meal if I let you. You would eat any fruit at all before any other part of your meal, even as a snack or a treat. You love all sports and your favorite is always the one you can play or see for the moment. Our dog Daisy is your buddy.Your first and still best friend is your sister, even though you have applied for your little brother card....and use it often And your hero is daddy, unless there is a boo-boo or you need a soft spot to land, then you are mama's boy all the way. I love that you are not too big to sit in my lap and for you and for me that spells home.
Billy you are genuinely excited about life and all the things you learn each week. I love the times of "Hey mama guess what I learned" or "Hey mama did you know." This attribute is especially fun as we learn about how much Jesus loves us. I love how you want to share all the new stuff that fills your head each week as we read stories from the storybook Bible or the stories that you learn from Kids Club at church. But it's not just about Jesus and God either. You are so excited to tell me what you learn in school and what you learn with your friends. And I soak it all in.
You know Billy, your daddy often says that underneath Superman's clothes is a Billy Hicks suit
. And I believe it to be true. Your super power is love. You love without fear. You love fiercely. You love completely. You and your sister make our circle of love complete. I cannot wait to see what 5 has in store for you. Buckle up and take this amazing ride.
I love you always and forever.
Mama

1 comment:
What a special letter. I hope Billy enjoys reading it as much as I did. Shelly you are an amazing writer.
Post a Comment